With all the cold weather lately, I have really been craving some soup. I am bookmarking soup recipes left and right and have to control myself or else we would be eating soup every night. When I came across this Quick Chicken Chickpea Soup recipe on Eat, Live, Run , it moved to the front of the list because it seemed perfect for a day when I knew my time slot for cooking dinner was going to be short. It was really delicious and flavorful. Also, super healthy! I think it must have been the swiss chard and the scent of the ginger that made it seem extra healthy. I ate the leftovers for breakfast and lunch the next day if that tells you how much I liked it!
Chicken Chickpea Soup (adapted from Eat, Live, Run)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 inch knob of ginger, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 14.5 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 bunch of swiss chard, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the shallot, carrot, celery, ginger, garlic and jalapeno in the olive oil for about five minutes, until veggies start to soften.
- Add the broth, chickpeas, and shredded rotisserie chicken. Bring to a simmer.
- Then add the salt, pepper, lemon juice, and swiss chard. Simmer until greens wilt (about five minutes) then serve.