Friday, February 1, 2013

Chicken Chickpea Soup


With all the cold weather lately, I have really been craving some soup. I am bookmarking soup recipes left and right and have to control myself or else we would be eating soup every night. When I came across this Quick Chicken Chickpea Soup recipe on Eat, Live, Run , it moved to the front of the list because it seemed perfect for a day when I knew my time slot for cooking dinner was going to be short.  It was really delicious and flavorful. Also, super healthy! I think it must have been the swiss chard and the scent of the ginger that made it seem extra healthy. I ate the leftovers for breakfast and lunch the next day if that tells you how much I liked it!

Chicken Chickpea Soup (adapted from Eat, Live, Run)

Ingredients

  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 2 large carrots, sliced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 inch knob of ginger, minced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 quarts chicken broth
  • 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
  • 14.5 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 bunch of swiss chard, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Saute the shallot, carrot, celery, ginger, garlic and jalapeno in the olive oil for about five minutes, until veggies start to soften.
  2.  Add the broth, chickpeas, and shredded rotisserie chicken. Bring to a simmer.
  3.  Then add the salt, pepper, lemon juice, and swiss chard. Simmer until greens wilt (about five minutes) then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment